Edith Croll and Editha Knocker
The story of the Benslow Music Instrumental Loan Scheme began with a letter to The Times newspaper in 1932.
It was written by Editha Knocker and Edith Croll, both music teachers, who were increasingly concerned at the difficulty students were having finding good instruments. The letter advertised their idea for a new scheme to help serious young musicians through the loan of violins and violas that were no longer being used.
Enlisting the help of eminent musicians of the day such as Sir Henry Wood, Professor E.J.Dent and Robert Mayer, as well as violin makers W.E Hill & Sons, gave strength and credibility to the scheme.
During the Second World War Edith and Editha moved to Glen Uig, Lochaillort, on the far west coast of Scotland. They maintained an interest in the Scheme which moved Hitchin, and became linked with the RMSA through Mary Ibberson.